This week we were extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to have a guest speaker join us during our class time. Chantelle shared her personal and workplace experiences regarding inclusivity in our society and in the school system. We discussed situations within our breakout rooms that challenged our thoughts and knowledge in the cases of inclusivity as an educator. This topic felt extremely daunting at the beginning of class, I think that a lot of new educators feel nervous to make mistakes or accidentally step on someones toes when it comes to including everyone in the school setting. Many of us have come into contact with those who have various disabilities, we don’t even think about it but something as simple as someone having to wear eye glasses may be in need of adaptations to a lesson.

We mainly focused on the idea of how we, in our future classrooms, can ensure that we include everyone in our lessons and activities, no matter their disability or the adaptations that we need to make. It is important that we hold a respectful and supportive environment for ALL of our students, and ensure that we teach our students to respect one another.

I am very thankful to have had this conversation and presentation this last week. It was definitely one of the classes that I will remember and carry with me the most.